Friday, March 4, 2022

Michael Henchard’s Will


 

Michael Henchard, the main character of Thomas Hardy’s novel, The Mayor of Casterbridge, had a considerable number of good qualities. Tragically, his rash outbursts of anger caused him to make disastrous decisions which obscured the positive in him. Near the end of his life, several meltdowns led to the unraveling of everything he had accomplished. Before he died, he wrote this chilling will: 

That Elizabeth-Jane Farfrae (his daughter) be not told of my death,

or made to grieve on account of me.

& that I be not buried in consecrated ground.

& that no one be asked to toll the bell.

& that nobody is wished to see my dead body.

& that no mourners walk behind me at my funeral.

& that no flowers be planted on my grave.

& that no man remember me.

To this I put my name.

Michael Henchard 

Heartbreaking is the only way to describe what Henchard felt about his life which was coming to an end. But maybe that was the intention of the author, to lead his readers to ask the question, “What am I doing with my life? When all is said and done, will I want to be remembered or forgotten?” 

Jesus had a lot to say about the difference between living a precious life and a wasted life. This weekend we’re going to study what happened at a dinner party he attended. To some, what Jesus said about the precious life is shocking. But as always, what he says is pure “Jesus” and it is absolutely life changing. 

We live in a time of mental busyness, our minds always being occupied by some new piece of information, whether it is important or not. If you can’t answer confidently which kind of life you are living (precious or wasted), take the time to join us for one of our weekend services. If you listen to what Jesus says, there is no way Michael Henchard’s will ever will be yours.     

Worship service times: Saturday: 6:00 pm & Sunday: 10:00 am


Hawaii Lutheran Church (WELS)

My photo
Honolulu, HI
Community Lutheran Church holds protestant chapel services in Honolulu, Hawaii near Pearl Harbor, HI. We are next to the USS Arizona Memorial, Pearl Harbor Naval Base, Hickam Air Force Base, and Fort Shafter Hawaii. Look for us directly behind the Salt Lake, Hawaii, Target.