Friday, May 17, 2019

It’s Going to Work Out

When I was a little boy, it was my dad who brought the “It’s going to work out” presence to the difficult situations in which I would find myself. Whether he was able to solve the problem or not, with him there I knew I was safe. I knew I’d get back home. And somehow, someway life would return to normal. Even after I became an adult, it was always a calming influence to talk to him when hard times came into my life. To me, just the tone of his voice reassured me, “It’s going to work out.”

But, as happens to us all, my dad got older and eventually developed a significant case of dementia. I remember the first time the reality of his situation hit me. Par for the course, I called him up to ask for his help. But this time, he couldn’t. He couldn’t make it all work out. His voice, instead of being calm and assured, was frightened and confused. Over the phone talking with him, I sobbed. I don’t think my tears were out of pity for him, but for me. If things we’re going to work out, I couldn’t depend on my dad anymore.

When Jesus ascended into heaven, forty days after his resurrection, his disciples must have felt the way I did the day I realized my dad suffered from dementia. With Jesus around, things always worked out – even his being crucified! But now he was removing his visible presence from their day to day lives. The One who always made things right was gone. How would they go on? What these followers of Christ would later learn was that the Lord’s Ascension was the crowning confirmation that everything would work out for them – and will work out for us.

For many Christians the Ascension is an event that is an after-thought in the life of Jesus, an anti-climax in the shadow of his resurrection. That’s not the case! Join us for one of our worship services this weekend and discover why you can be sure that with Jesus, your life is going to work out.

Saturday evening worship: 6:00 pm
Sunday morning worship: 10:00 am

Hawaii Lutheran Church (WELS)

My photo
Honolulu, HI
Community Lutheran Church holds protestant chapel services in Honolulu, Hawaii near Pearl Harbor, HI. We are next to the USS Arizona Memorial, Pearl Harbor Naval Base, Hickam Air Force Base, and Fort Shafter Hawaii. Look for us directly behind the Salt Lake, Hawaii, Target.